Brides-to-be often look forward to the trip to the bridal salon more than any other activity listed on their wedding to-do list. I recently had this experience myself. Â Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your visit:
- Even if you typically forgo foundation, you may want to put on some foundation or tinted moisturizer that day and apply blush too.  I did this so I wouldn’t feel washed out while trying on white dresses.
- Do something with your hair. It doesn’t have to be fancy — it just helps if it resembles “event hair.” I put mine in an easy topknot, so I looked a little more polished and got a better sense of the full effect with the dresses on.
- If you plan on wearing shapewear, bring it with you. But if you find shapewear uncomfortable, opt for dresses that won’t require it.
- Bring two trusted friends or family members, max. Any more than that will likely confuse rather than clarify which dress best suits you.
- Inform the consultant when and where you’re having your wedding. For me that’s a log cabin in July, so I needed to avoid anything that would a) Look especially silly in a log cabin — a fully sequined gown, for example, and b) Was made of a heavy fabric that would be uncomfortable in the heat and humidity.
- Identify any designers you like. Even if the salon doesn’t carry them, they’ll likely be familiar with them, and this will give the consultant a good idea of your style. Also, note any details you do or don’t want in a wedding dress to give them another good starting point.
- Be open-minded and try on different styles of dresses, not just what you had in mind. I thought for sure I didn’t want a sleeveless dress, and I did want a white one, but when I tried on a blush sleeveless number, similar to the Mira Zwillinger dress above, it caught my breath. Remember that gown consultants are great gauges for determining the best dress for your figure.
- Remember that dresses you buy at wedding dress shops are being made from scratch — you can request minor adjustments. So if you love the cut and style of one dress but aren’t a fan of the sequins sewed into the skirt, ask for the sequins to be left off.
- Move in the dress. Can you sit in it? Can you dance? What sort of dancer are you? Personally, I am a full body dancer — anything that constricts my movement is not the dress for me.
- Be brutal with dress eliminations. I tried on all sorts of different dresses — I had a few lace ones I Â liked and a couple of fuller skirted ones. The consultant made me choose my favorite in each group, so there were only two in the end. (Nope, I didn’t buy. But I am considering one in particular.)
And here’s something that surprised me: This particular salon didn’t allow you to take photos of yourself in the dresses. This makes things tricky if you’re considering the dress but are trying on others before making a decision. (My memory of how I looked in the dresses has already grown foggy.) The salon is likely concerned that someone will take a photo and ask someone else to make that dress for them, instead of going through the salon. So, prepare to flex your mental picture abilities in case the salon has a “no photos” policy.
We have some great short videos from a wedding gown expert that should also help:
- How to Choose Wedding Gowns
- A Guide to Wedding Dress Silhouettes
- A Guide to Wedding Dress  Necklines
- How to Size a Wedding Dress
Happy dress-hunting! And follow Robert’s and my wedding story here.
Photo courtesy Mira Zwillinger
Pin It Wedding Tips & Ideas | Budget Weddings | Wedding Vendor Advice | Bridal Banter
No comments:
Post a Comment