Sunday, November 25, 2012

APW on Pinterest: Inspiration & Application

APW on Pinterest: Inspiration & Application

As most of you know, I’ve been on maternity leave for a few weeks now. And as you might have figured out if you hang out in the comments or follow me on Twitter, as of the second I’m writing this, we don’t have a baby yet. It’s a long story, but in short because of health stuff, and the amazing fun that late pregnancy can bring (head desk), Maddie and team have been in charge, and I’ve been working half time-ish behind the scenes. Mostly because if feeling terrible is bad, feeling terrible and being bored is so much worse. What can I say? I’m Type A.

The joke has become that I’m grateful to have a job where I can claim to be “working on our Pinterest strategy” and not be totally and completely lying. Which is to say, between APW’s brand new Editorial Assistant Emily and me, the APW Pinterest boards have become a fun place to hang out. What’s been interesting to me about spending time playing around on Pinterest, is the way it’s brought me back to where APW started, when I was planning my wedding. In those days, part of what I was doing here was chasing down inspiration, and then trying to figure out how in the hell I could translate it into reality, if, say, I was gainfully employed but not spending a Bay Area down payment of $ 150K on my wedding. Tricky. Thanks wedding media. And as I’ve spent time on Pinterest, I’ve realized that it is often more of the same. Sure, it’s great to re-pin that smashing dotted tulle veil (and I did), but how in the hell does one make, or otherwise procure, a dotted tulle veil for oneself? (Pinterest answer: who the hell knows.)

What’s occurred to me is that these days, unlike almost five years ago when I started APW (eek!), I have a chance of doing something about this problem with a tool other than my words. APW now has a staff, we work to create How To content for you guys, and we have the lady-power to sit around and try to come up with solutions to wedding-related problems. For Maddie and me, this realization has prompted a lot of conversations about how we can work to mix (very) old-school APW with new school APW (something exciting to both of us, since Maddie has been reading this site just about as long as I’ve been writing it). Which means, in short, this:

  • Follow us on Pinterest, as we try to chase down application from inspiration (hey, Indie Wedding Ring board, Hair & Headpieces Board, and Makeup Board).
  • Expect new features on APW soon, including more shopping roundups. East Side Bride’s Indie Wedding Ring roundup reminded us how much we love those.
  • And expect us to ask you for ideas. We’re currently planning How To shoots for 2013, and we’re going to want your input on that.

And as a reminder: you can follow us on Facebook as well. Articles we find interesting (if slightly off topic) tend to land there for further discussion. And with that, cheers. And back to maternity leave.

Meg

Turtle Love Committee
A Practical Wedding: Ideas for Unique, DIY, and Budget Wedding Planning

No comments:

Post a Comment